Chancellor Inaugurates Telemedicine Centre
To provide free clinical services online, the Chancellor/Governor Punjab, Chaudhary Muhammad Sarwar inaugurated the Telemedicine Centre at Sargodha University on March 26 through a video link.
The Telemedicine Centre will mitigate overcrowding in the hospitals and reduce real-time interaction between doctors and patients, hence contribute in reducing the risk of exposure to COVID-19.
While appreciating the university's prompt institutional response to this urgent call to fight the Coronavirus threat, the Chancellor assured full support to the Vice Chancellor and his medical team for the initiative
"We are extending the scope of corona telemedicine helpline all over Punjab, to provide instant advisory and awareness regarding corona hazards. Therefore, I must congratulate the Vice Chancellor and his team for timely starting the free online medical service for corona and other health problems. We will extend all possible help to this initiative so as to transform it into a Centre of Excellence."
Ch Muhammad Sarwar
To combat with corona outbreak, the centre will perform the following functions:
- A team of 20 doctors having expertise in five categories including Surgery, Medicine, Paediatrics, others and primarily Corona as the major category will render their services.
- The Centre will provide free clinical services from medical consultation to diagnosis followed by e-prescription.
- The corona medical experts would be available 24/7 through calls, WhatsApp and Skype IDs, which is connected with the local and national numbers.
- Corona suspects would be inquired, history would be recorded and upon the diagnosis, the patient would be referred to the focal person in DHQ hospital for screening and would be sent to isolation or quarantine centre according to the nature of severity.
- In case of emergency, Rescue 1122, ambulance service would be utilized.
- The doctors having expertise in the rest of four categories would be available from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM on call, WhatsApp and Skype ID through the local and national numbers generated.
- The Telemedicine Centre, through university website and social media outlets, will display not only its own contact details but also the national phone/WhatsApp contact numbers for the general public.
Social responsibility is one of the core values of Sargodha University. It has been rendering community service through various initiatives, including free consultancy service to local farmers under an outreach program; providing safe drinking water to faculty, staff and students; instilling rainwater to increase underground water table through aquifer recharge wells; and offering free corneal transplantation at DHQ Sargodha. The Telemedicine Centre, currently operating from the Facilitation Centre, will soon be shifted to the adjoining block, where the University Medical and Research Centre wer already offering OPD medical services besides running a model university pharmacy for the people of Sargodha city.